Master of Library Science and Master of Information Science, School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University Bloomington (IUB).
08/1996 to 05/1997
Graduate Work, Department of Telecommunications (13 credit hours), Michigan State University.
Bachelor of Arts in Theatre with an emphasis in Design and Technical Production and Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Cable Production, Department of Theatre and Department of Communications, Western Michigan University.
01/2010 to Present
Online Adjunct Faculty – The Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division, Web Design and Interactive Media Design Department, Pittsburgh, PA
- Responsible for facilitating a meaningful learning of course competencies in the curriculum and to proactively support the online learning environment.
- Providing career education through learner-centered instruction that helps students to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace.
- Working with students to create a culture of learning that values responsibility, diversity, and ethics.
08/2010 to 03/2015
Web Services Librarian – State University of New York (SUNY) Potsdam, Crumb Library, Potsdam, NY
- Responsible for managing the College Libraries website and creating working relationships with campus technology staff.
- Responsible for managing web services used by the libraries such as research databases, link resolvers, and a web proxy server.
- Other responsibilities include providing reference assistance to patrons and serving as a liaison to the Computer Science, Theatre, and Dance Departments.
04/2009 to 07/2010
Adjunct Instructor – School of Library and Information Science, IUB, Bloomington, IN
- Taught S603 Emerging Technologies and Libraries.
- Responsible for facilitating a meaningful learning of course competencies in the curriculum.
03/2007 to 07/2010
Web Producer – Indiana University Foundation, Bloomington, IN
- Responsible for maintaining the IUF websites to assure that they maintain a professional appearance by adhering to best practices in web design and programming.
- Providing leadership to help design and/or re-design user friendly interactive pieces by continually evaluating their effectiveness over time.
- Serving as a liaison to the Indiana University Student Foundation, which included technology support and teaching workshops.
09/2006 to 01/2007
Usability/Design Intern – Digital Library Program, IUB Herman B Wells Library, Bloomington, IN
- Conducted a comparative assessment of other graphic user interfaces and prepared a report for staff.
- Worked with a group of people to help redesign the current METS Navigator graphical user interface.
- The design of a usability study to assess paper prototypes of the METS Navigator.
09/2005 to 03/2007
Alternative Media Specialist – Adaptive Technology and Accessibility Centers, IUB Herman B Wells Library, Bloomington, IN
- Responsible for digitizing text documents for students and staff at multiple campuses.
- Responsible for editing text documents for blind students, so they could be used with a screen reading application.
- Teaching clients about the adaptive hardware and software available through the university.
06/2006 to 01/2007
Reference Assistant – Information Commons Undergraduate Library Services, IUB Herman B Wells Library, Bloomington, IN
- Provided reference assistance to patrons in person and virtually via email and internet messaging services.
- Participated in the libraries information literacy initiatives by teaching library instruction sessions to a variety of different classes.
05/2005 to 12/2005
Information Systems Librarian Intern – Monroe County Public Library, Bloomington, IN
- Developed, maintained and participated in the implementation of the Monroe County Public Library website for approximately one year.
- Worked closely with the Information Systems Librarian to help evaluate, promote, and coordinate the use of technology through the libraries website.
- Researched and implemented new technologies into both the libraries website and intranet to allow for better communication between library staff and patrons.
10/2004 to 09/2005
Computer Consultant – Student Technology Center Consultants, IUB Herman B Wells Library, Bloomington, IN
- Provided front-line customer service to people using student technology centers across campus.
- Provided technical support for software, hardware, and printing issues.
05/2000 to 09/2004
Manager – Running Fit Inc., Ann Arbor MI
- Supervised five employees.
- Researched three Point of Sale programs and made a recommendation to the owners.
- Responsible for updating the content on the Running Fit website and maintaining the sales database.
08/1997 to 08/2000
Media Computer Technician – North Farmington High School, Farmington Hills, MI
- Provided library instruction and computer training for both students and staff.
- Worked with staff to promote the use of technology to enhance the learning opportunities for both students and staff.
Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division
IMD 211 Interactive Authoring I – Winter 2016
IMD 131 Screen Design and Graphics – Winter, Spring, Summer 2010, Winter 2011 and Fall 2013
IMD 332 Web Imaging Techniques – Winter 2012, Summer 2013, Summer 2015
FND 114 Fundamentals of Media Communication – Summer 2012, Fall 2015
IMD 123 User-Centered Information Design – Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Fall 2014, Spring 2015
SUNY Center for Professional Development
Innovative Library Services Through Technology
Introduction to Emerging Technologies – Fall 2014
Indiana University, Bloomington
S603 Emerging Technologies and Libraries – Summer 2009 and Summer 2010
Michigan State University
TC 240 – Introduction to Media Arts – Fall 1996 and Spring 1997
Scholarship and Research
November 2014. The User Experience and its Impact on Virtual and Physical Spaces. Library Information Technology 2014 Forum, Albuquerque, NM.
March 2014. User Experience – the good, bad, and confusing. Library Technology Conference 2014, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
October 2013. Professional Development Grant Presentation. Northern New York Library Network (NNYLN), Fall Conference, Malone, NY.
June 2013. How Usability Testing Shapes the Future of a Library. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference,SUNY Buffalo State, NY.
March 2013. A User Centered Design Approach to Designing a Libraries Website. Library Technology Conference 2013, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
June 2012. A User-Centered Design Approach to Designing a Libraries Website. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology, NY.
April 2011. Introduction to Workshops Presented at the LibTech Conference 2011. NNYLN, Annual Meeting, Alexandria Bay, NY.
January 2013. An Interactive Approach to Designing a Library Website.
Southeastern New York Library Resources Council series Technologies & Trends (SENYLRC) series Technologies & Trends, Online.
June 2014. Customizing EBSCO’s A to Z and LinkSource Products. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, University at Albany, Albany, Albany, NY.
June 2011. How to Create a Mashup Using Google Maps. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, SUNY College at Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, NY.
March 2011. Blurring the Line: Using blogging software as a communication tool or website. LibTech Conference 2011, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
March 2011. How to Create a Mashup Using Google Maps. LibTech Conference 2011, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
March 2010. How to Create a Mashup Using Google Maps. Library Technology Conference 2010, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
October 2012. SLIS Fall Career Fair. IUB, Bloomington, IN.
January 2013. Professional Development Grant, NNYLN.
January 2011. Professional Development Grant, NNYLN.
April 2015. Computers in Libraries 2015, Washington, D.C.
April 2015. Learning for Life Conference, RRCC, Lakewood, CO.
June 2014. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, University at Albany, Albany, NY.
May 2014. NNYLN Annual Meeting, Lake Placid, NY.
June 2013. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, SUNY Buffalo State, Buffalo NY.
April 2013. Computers in Libraries 2013, Washington, D.C.
April 2013. NNYLN Annual Meeting, Alexandria Bay, NY
March 2013. Library Technology Conference 2013, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
June 2012. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, NY.
October 2011. An Event Apart Washington DC, Alexandria, VA.
October 2011. Progress and Plugging IN NNYLN’s 2011 Fall Conference, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, NY.
June 2011. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, SUNY Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, NY.
April 2011. NNYLN Annual Meeting, Alexandria Bay, NY.
March 2011. LibTech Conference 2011, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
March 2010. LibTech Conference 2010, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.
August 2007. An Event Apart Chicago, Chicago, IL.
June 2005. ALA Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
May 2013. Digital Humanities Roundtable, Learning and Teaching Excellence Center, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, NY.
March 2014. Getting ready for WorldCat Discovery, OCLC.
March 2014. Intro to LibGuides v2, Springshare.
March 2014. Admin Setting up LibGuides v2, Springshare.
November 2013. Learning Styles, EDMC Education Management Corporation.
November 2013. Full Text Finder: Migration from EBSCO A-To-Z, EBSCO Training.
October 2013. Online Trends and Topics in Education – Part II, EDMC Education Management Corporation.
October 2013. Online Trends and Topics in Education – Part I, EDMC Education Management Corporation.
July 2013. LinkSource with A-to-Z Administrator overview, EBSCO Training.
July 2013. LinkSource and A-to-Z Basics, EBSCO Training.
June 2013. LibGuides & LibGuides CMS Admin, springshare.
May 2013. Beyond Guide Basics (Basics Part 2), springshare.
March 2013. Hacking, Making, & Creating – at the Library, SENYLRC 2013 Technologies & Trends Webinars.
February 2013. Digital Library Initiatives Part 3: HathiTrust Digital Library, SENYLRC 2013 Technologies & Trends Webinars.
January 2013. The hopeful workplace, New York Library Association Webinar.
November 2012. SpringyCamp – Focusing on UX: Understanding & Meeting the Needs of the User, springshare.
Fall 2011. Using Drupal to Build Library Websites, ALA editions eLearning.
April 2008. Interaction Design 101: 3-Day Immersion. Usability Week 2008, New York, NY.
American Library Association
Web Coordinating Committee, Library and Information Technology Association (2014 – present)
Delegate, SUNY Librarians Association (2013 – 2014)
Internship Supervisor, Specialist Graduate Internship Program (Spring Semester 2013)
Representative, SUNY Librarians Association (2013 -2014)
Member, Undergraduate Archives Research Award Committee (2012 – present)
Representative, Faculty Senate Alternate (2012 – 2014)
Participant, Teaching Circle (2012)
Member, Mary English Technology Committee (2011 – 2014)
Workshop, Teaching Learning, and Technology Day. Blurring the Line: Using blogging software as a communication tool or website (January, 2011)
Volunteer, Paul Smiths Visitor Center Interpreter Center (2011 –2014)
American Library Association
Library and Information Technology Association
- DOS, Microsoft Windows 95, 98, XP Professional, Windows 7
- Macintosh OS
- Production – Adobe Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Photoshop
- Office Suites – Google Docs, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice
- Content Management Systems – Cascade Server, Collage, Drupal, LibGuides, WordPress
- Learning Management Systems – Desire 2 Learn (D2L), Blackboard, Moodle, OnCourse
- Prototyping Software – OmniGraffle, Dia
Web Programming Languages
- HTML/XHTML, HTML 5